Tuesday 20 December 2011

A play kitchen

This is yet another project that was completed a while back.  I was hoping to have something new to share this week, but we're all sick here and nothing seems to be getting done, except napping.  I felt a little better yesterday, and that made me wildly ambitious.  So I folded the clean laundry that had been getting way too comfortable on the dining room table.  That took the wind right out of me and I was ready for a nap again.

So, yeah.  That's why it's another oldie goldie for today.  I first saw a nightstand made over into a kitchen in this article from Canadian Family magazine.  I was in LOVE.  I thought, 'has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?'  And so I googled "nightstand play kitchen".  And up sprang zillions of lovely blogs.  For the second time in one day, I was in LOVE.

For the most part, I followed the very helpful tutorial at Out of the Crayon Box.

This project took forever, but that's mostly because I waited for the perfect nightstand at the perfect price.  Don't get me wrong.  There were LOTS of nightstands.  Lots that were falling apart for $25.  No thanks.  I knew if I could just be patient for once in my life, it would pay off.  And it did!  I found this gem (solid wood!) for $3.99 at a thrift store.  SCORE!


There were two there.  And the matching dresser.  Now I kick myself for not buying the entire set for under $28 and refinishing it for my bedroom.  Mind you, if I had done that, I would still be on the lookout for the perfect kitchen nightstand.  So, here it is after I've gutted and sanded it, with some pieces in place:


I used bamboo coasters from the dollar store for the stovetop elements.  The backsplash was originally the bottom drawer.  I saved the pull from this drawer to use as a towel holder on the side.  I used these helpful tips from MADE to paint the white and tan stripes, as well as to get sharp lines wherever the green paint meets the white.

The white paint was leftover from other projects and the green paint was $9 for a gallon in the Oops! section at Home Depot.  Double score, because it's the colour I've been wanting to repaint our real kitchen.  Oh yes.  There were a great many plans in the works these past weeks that gave way to napping.  On to happier thoughts - here is the completed play kitchen!


 Baby S' specialties are fruit salad, pizza, and boiled potatoes.  Hungry anyone?

2 comments:

  1. i wish you'd post more of your amazing projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I keep meaning to update my blog and then... I prefer to do crafts instead. One day!

      Delete